ubamobile

access ad

ziva

Tue. Aug 18th, 2026
Spread the love

FIFA chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has left the organisation less than three weeks after publicly challenging president Gianni Infantino over a controversial plan to bring private investment into FIFA’s competitions.

FIFA confirmed on Monday, 17 August 2026, that its working relationship with Lamour had ended. The governing body did not provide a reason for his departure, saying only that FIFA and Lamour had “agreed to part ways”.

In a message to FIFA staff, secretary general Mattias Grafstrom said the decision followed recent discussions and thanked Lamour for his contribution during his two years with the organisation.

Lamour joined FIFA in November 2024 after previously working as deputy general secretary at UEFA. He was one of the senior figures within FIFA’s administration, although he was two levels below Infantino.

His departure comes against the backdrop of growing political tensions surrounding Infantino and his plans for FIFA’s commercial operations.

Controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise plan

The dispute centred on FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), a proposed company that would have overseen the commercial and ticketing rights connected to FIFA competitions, including the World Cup.

Infantino’s plan to sell a 21% stake in the proposed company to private investment firms triggered strong opposition across international football.

UEFA, Concacaf and the Asian Football Confederation all raised concerns about the proposal. UEFA went as far as threatening to boycott the World Cup if the plan was implemented.

Lamour subsequently became one of the most outspoken internal critics of the project.

Last month, he described FFE as “the project of one person” and argued that football’s political leaders needed to take responsibility for what was happening within FIFA.

He also claimed that FIFA’s own administration had been “deceived” over the project.

Lamour said FIFA employees’ primary responsibility was to serve football and argued that a president should unite and inspire people rather than divide them.

Acknowledging his obligation to FIFA, he nevertheless said he also had a responsibility to certain principles and to his colleagues.

“If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” Lamour said at the time.

 FFE abandoned after widespread opposition

The pressure surrounding FFE eventually forced FIFA to abandon the proposal.

The decision was a significant setback for Infantino, who has increasingly faced criticism from football authorities over his leadership and commercial ambitions.

A further blow came when Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned during the controversy.

Infantino subsequently secured backing from a number of senior FIFA executives at a meeting in Morocco earlier this month. Lamour, however, was reportedly not invited to the meeting.

His departure now adds another dramatic chapter to the dispute.

 Infantino faces growing opposition ahead of election

The controversy comes at a particularly sensitive time for Infantino as he seeks a fourth term as FIFA president.

UEFA and Concacaf have withdrawn their previous support for his re-election at the FIFA Congress in March 2027.

Several European football associations have also turned against him. England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have already withdrawn their support, while the Scottish FA became the latest to do so on Monday.

However, Infantino still retains substantial backing elsewhere.

Football authorities from Africa, South America and Oceania have supported his bid, while several Concacaf members have broken with their confederation to back him. Mexico is among those supporting Infantino.

The divisions demonstrate how contested the FIFA presidency has become as the 2027 election approaches.

What FIFA says about Lamour’s departure

FIFA has not directly linked Lamour’s departure to his criticism of FFE or Infantino.

Its official statement was limited to confirming that the relationship between FIFA and its chief operating officer ended on 17 August.

“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future,” a FIFA spokesperson said.

Grafstrom similarly told FIFA Council members that the organisation had agreed to part ways with Lamour following recent discussions.

Lamour has been approached for comment.

His departure nevertheless raises further questions about the internal divisions within FIFA, particularly after the collapse of the FFE project and the growing opposition to Infantino ahead of next year’s presidential election.

For now, FIFA maintains that Lamour’s exit was an agreed decision. But given the timing and his recent public criticism of the president’s plans, his departure is likely to fuel further scrutiny of the leadership and governance of world football.

[peepso_activity]

By admin

HUHUONLINE.SHOP